Can a mortgage company go after assets if our second home is foreclosed on?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a mortgage company go after assets if our second home is foreclosed on?

We are currently facing foreclosure on our property. I am worried about a deficiency judgement if the home is sold for less than is owed at auction. If it is sold for less, what recourse does the creditor have? Can they go after assets (i.e. social security, CD’s, investments, life insurance policies)? We did not put up any of these up at time of signing. Also, we have an 80/20 loan with the same lender.

Asked on June 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As you are aware a lender may seek a deficiency judgment in the event that a property is foreclosed on and sold for less than the remaining amount of the mortgage (plus fees/costs). This is true for both a first and second mortgage. While such judgements are not allowed in all states, they are legal in MI. 

If such a judgement is obtained then all non-exempt assets are at risk. Exactly what assets are exempt varies from state-to-state. Typically however C'D', life insurance and most investments can be garnished; social security would be exempt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption