Can a minor at the age of 14, be held responsible for a non-emergency medical bill if there parents didn’t pay but signed the consent?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a minor at the age of 14, be held responsible for a non-emergency medical bill if there parents didn’t pay but signed the consent?

I had a non-emergency MRI performed at an outpatient hospital facility. When I turned 21, I noticed there was a collection judgment on my credit for the unpayed bill. My mother signed the consent but never paid the bill. I also was never advised of this bill. Can I be held responsible?

Asked on February 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, unfortunately, minors can be held responsible for medical services long after they have been incurred.  You need to get to the bottom of the matter.  You need to write to the credit bureaus and dispute the debt.  They have an obligation to inquire from the reporting agency as to the matter and if they do not get a response within 30 days then they have to remove it from your report.  When you write the dispute indicate that you were 14 years old and signed no contract with the creditor.  Also, check on the time the judgement was rendered and the judgement itself.  If you were not properly served with legal papers on the matter you may be able to have it vacated or attack it on the basis that the statute of limitations has run to collect it.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption