Can a medical marijuana patient fly out of state with marijuana?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a medical marijuana patient fly out of state with marijuana?

If not, what are the likely penalties for attempting to do so anyway? I am a medical marijuana patient and I will be taking a trip to another state that has medical marijuana cards. I will be gone for about a week

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as you have a medical marijuana card issued in the state that you reside and are flying to another state where medical marijuana use is allowed, you should have no trouble possessing such a controlled substance in the second state.

The concern that you need to be aware about is that flight across state lines is controlled by federal law and federal law does not recognize the legality of marijuana like some states in this country do. As such, you may have some legal issues under federal law flying in and out of the state you wish to travel to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption