Can a mechanic put a lien on your car before he does repairs?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a mechanic put a lien on your car before he does repairs?

Had my car towed back to a recommended mechanic 4 months ago. We have been trying to locate the owner of the vehicle that hit us since we had owner’s information since our insurance lapsed when the accident happened. Since then the mechanic has slapped a lien on the car before any repairs and never contacted us to say he was going to do that.

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a licensed auto mechanic can pre-lien a vehicle before he or she even begins work on the vehicle. I suggest that you carefully read the receipt for the repair order for your vehicle that you most likely signed and received before you left the auto repair shop.

Most likely the service agreement states that the repair shop is statutorily entitled to place a lien on the vehicle for work to be done to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption