Can a married couple in Texas sign a Release for claims against the other spouse’s property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a married couple in Texas sign a Release for claims against the other spouse’s property?

Husband and I are Texas residents and have been
separated for 6 years. It would not be prudent
for us to get a divorce at this time. However,
we need to sign a release agreement against for
all claims against the other partner’s
assets/property until the time of divorce.
Is such a form available in Texas?

Asked on May 28, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is possible to enter a post marital agreement to release claims and divide or change the character or property.  So, yes, you can potentially hire an attorney to draft this agreement for you.  However, these type of agreements are heavily scrutinized by the trial and appeals courts.  If and when you and your spouse file for divorce, the trial court can accept the agreement....however, you run the risk of the agreement being voided on a technicality.  Just keep this in mind as you move forward.
If it's not prudent for you and your spouse to divorce because of costs, then you may want to explore cheaper options for a divorce.  Many counties now have free legal clinics that work people through the divorce process so that they can finalized their divorce actions.  Consider calling your local district clerk and see if such a clinic is available in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption