Can a local gym charge me an early cancellation fee if I have moved 200 miles away?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a local gym charge me an early cancellation fee if I have moved 200 miles away?

I was a member of a local gym and had to cancel my membership within the first year, as I had to relocated across the state for my job. I sent them a certified letter advising that I needed to cancel my membership and asked them to waive any cancellation fees since I was now located approximately 200 miles from their nearest facility. They now want me to pay an early cancellation fee even though I am not within a reasonable distance of any of their facilities anymore. Is there anything that would protect me in a situation such as this?

Asked on July 11, 2018 under Business Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A contract is a contract, so you are bound by its terms. Accordingly, you must read it to check on the gym's cancellation policy. Typically, a membership can be terminated if a move is 20-25 miles or more away from the gym. However, a cancellation fee can be imposed. Again, the terms of your contract will control. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption