Can a lender get a deficiency judgement for a rental property included in a Chapter 7?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a lender get a deficiency judgement for a rental property included in a Chapter 7?

I filed Chapter 7 last year. Included was a rental property for which the bank took a deed in lieu. Since we did not go through foreclosure, are we now a target for a deficiency judgement even though this property was included in the filing?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your property may be considered in a deficiency judgment if you don't live in an anti-deficiency jurisdiction and if in your state a deed in lieu in combination with a bankruptcy is not sufficient to eradicate or discharge the remainder of debt owed. Talk to the trustee in charge to see if the order makes any mention of the deficiency or if it mentions the deed in lieu at all. You no longer have the property I assume so I don't think the likelihood is high that you will be sued for the deficiency especially if the debt was included in the bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption