Can a lawyer go to court for me and ask for more time on a motion being heard 2 days from now?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a lawyer go to court for me and ask for more time on a motion being heard 2 days from now?

My ex-husband has sent me a motion he filed asking for emergency custody and reduction in child support. I’m out of state and I don’t have the money for a plan ticket.

Asked on August 29, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Normally, a court will grant any reasonable request for an adjournment. Our Rules of Court mandate that a court should give reasonable deference to an adjournment request.

However, you should contact an attorney immediately so that he or she has time to contact the other side and the court in advance because the earlier that you ask for an adjournment, the more likely will be granted.

Brad Micklin, ESQ.
187 Washington Ave.
Nutley, New Jersey
973 – 562 – 0100
[email protected]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption