Can a landlord still take you to court if you moved out before they started the paperwork for court.

UPDATED: May 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord still take you to court if you moved out before they started the paperwork for court.

My landlord wants to take me to court for not paying aprils rent but I moved out before they started the paperwork to take it to court an I just received a summons to appear in court. Do I still have to go even tho I moved out well before they started the paperwork?

Asked on May 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


Madan Ahluwalia / Ahluwalia Law P. C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you've been summoned to court and you have a court date, then it is in your best interest to show up.  Based on your question, I cannot tell whether you have any valid defense for failing to pay April's rent, but that will be determined in court. If you don't show up to court, a default judgment may be entered against you (which would mean that you would lose automatically), and then your former landlord could take legal steps to recover money from you, including placing liens on your bank accounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption