Can a landlord legally remove your name from the mailbox?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord legally remove your name from the mailbox?

We are planning on moving out of our apartment by the end of the month, however it has not been rented yet. We have our lease for another 9 months and are breaking it. Legally, can she take our name off the mailbox if we are still living at the residence? I am on medicade and I am pregnant so not getting my bills or my assistance benefits is a real problem at this point.

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as you are in possession of the rental that you are writing about your landlord legally cannot remove your name from the assigned mailbox that is assigned to the rental you have. Once you vacate the rental and presumably break your lease where you are no longer in possession of it, the landlord is entitled to remove your name from the assigned mailbox for the rental.

If you are worried about not getting your mail, I suggest you place a forwarding address for it after you vacate the rental that you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption