Can a landlord increase rent without a 30-day notice?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord increase rent without a 30-day notice?

Our landlord sent a letter to us regarding a rent increase. She sent it certified but it does not give a 30-day notice. We are month-to-month.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are on a month-to-month lease with your landlord for the unit you are occupying, your landlord under the laws of most states is required to give you at least thirty (30) days written notice of any rent increase where the rent increase does not become effective until the passage of this time period.

In your situation since it appears that you did not receive proper notice from your landlord regarding the rent increase, you should write him or her about the irregularities stating the set date when the rent for the unit you are occupying increases keeping a copy of this letter for future reference.

Depending upon the rental market where you reside, you might consider looking for another place to stay if the amount of the increase is too much for you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption