Can a landlord get a constable to serve an eviction notice without warning when you don’t owe rent and have done no damage?

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord get a constable to serve an eviction notice without warning when you don’t owe rent and have done no damage?

We recieved an eviction notice today. The landlord has been angry that 2 unused vehicles are in the driveway (which we are entitled to use) pending attempts to sell the vehicles. Our working vehicles are parked on the street. He claims the unused cars are abandoned property.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you are permitted to use the driveway in the lease, then the landlord appears to way out of line.  I would have to see what the eviction notice says as there needs to be a valid reason for evicting you.  is there a lease?  The property is not abandoned becasue you are clearly keeping the property on your leased premises and have ownership/contact info on the car so as to identify you as the owner and the fact that it is for sale shows that you have not abandoned the cars.  I suggest obtaining a lawyer to get involved and open up the communication lines with the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption