Can a landlord force a homemade ID on us?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord force a homemade ID on us?

We live in a privately owned housing complex where H.U.D. holds subsidies on some of the units, one of which I live in. Myself and my 2 teen aged children have State issued ID cards and I feel like our Civil Rights are being violated, almost like Racial Discrimination of sorts. Can they do this?

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

So, the ID is for the housing complex? There is nothing inherently wrong or objectionable about this. Many institutions issue their own IDs. For example, colleges and universities; many jobs or employers; many office buildings (independent of any employer IDs); hotels, while a  guest; gated communities, retirement communities, etc. If the ID is being offered on a discriminatory basis--for example, only African American tenants have to have them; or only the elderly; or only woman; etc.--then that would be a different story, and there might be some housing discrimination implicated. However, if all tenants receive them, there should be nothing objectionable about a housing complex giving IDs to its tenants (or, for that matter, issuing temporary ones to guests).


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption