Can a landlord collect rent after they evict you, if you were current on your rent at the time of eviction?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord collect rent after they evict you, if you were current on your rent at the time of eviction?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A former landlord can try to collect rent after the eviction assuming the former tenant was current on rent at the time of eviction. However, from the undertones of your question, perhaps the claim for additional money could be for matters unrelated to past due rent such as damages not covered by the security deposit.

If you have a written lease agreement concerning your former rental, you need to carefully read it. Its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the former landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Potentially there are provisions in the written lease that you have with your former landlord that may explain attempts to obtain additional monies from you. Also, if the former landlord has written you a leter seeking such monies, read it carefully in that the letter might explain the basis for the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption