Can a landlord charge us for water and sewage without an individual meter?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord charge us for water and sewage without an individual meter?

We live in a duplex with 1 water meter and receive bills every month ranging from $40-100 in addition to our rent.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the municipality where the duplex is located, there might be a requirement that each rented unit have its own separate meter for water and sewage in that one cannot accurately gauge the monthly costs of water and sewage if two separate households based upon one meter.

In many situations where separate meters are required for individual units, one option to avoid the costs of installation of separate meters for each rented unit is for the landlord to pay the water and sewage on a monthly basis where the tenants pay a flat rental fee where utilities are included.

To answer your question, you need to contact your city's/town's local building and permit department to see if the duplex that you are in is required to have separate meters for each unit.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption