Can a landlord charge for the carpet to be replaceddue toa small stain?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord charge for the carpet to be replaceddue toa small stain?

Upon my moving out my landlord said that they wanted to replace the entire carpet because they deemed it damaged because of a 5 in light red stain on in one spot. Is there something I can do or are they able to charge for that?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally, a landlord holds your security deposit for issues such as this.  Landlords can deduct for damage to an apartment absent what is known as "normal wear and tear."  Normal wear and tear is defined differently in each state and is judged on a case by case basis.  Can the carpet  be cleaned enough to make the stain less noticeable?  What I am driving at is are there different options rather than just replacing the ENTIRE carpet (are we talking a large amount of money?)  You may want to seek some legal consultation on all of this.  And try and approach your landlord as to a solution rather than litigation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption