Can a landlord insist that their tenant take time off from work to supervise repairs?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord insist that their tenant take time off from work to supervise repairs?

Our landlord does not want to take time off to repair a wear and tear issue dealing with leaky plumbing. They keep asking us to take time off. It’s been 30 days at this point and the issue has not been resolved.

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The landlord is welcome to ask you to do him a favor, but that's what it would be--a favor. The landlord cannot require you to take time off to supervise repairs to a "wear and tear issue." A repair like this is the landlord's responsibility. If the landlord really wants you to do this, he should give you an incentive to do so--e.g. a week or two free rent, plus an agreement that you will not be liable for any potential problems with the repair.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption