Can my landlord demand to enter ourrental within 24 hours if Child Protective Services was at our house?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord demand to enter ourrental within 24 hours if Child Protective Services was at our house?

Our landlord called my husband today and very rudely told him that our family needs to be home tomorrow at  5pm for her to enter the premises because she was called by a neighbor saying Child Protective Services was at our house yesterday. This is because my daughter is in a speech program provided by the state and they came in a marked vehicle “State of OK Health Dept”. Do I need to provide her my daughter’s medical records? Do I have any legal leg to stand on if she “finds a reason” to not resign our lease which happens to be up this month? I find this very intrusive.

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that in Oklahoma a landlord has to give the tenant notice of their intent to enter the premises other than is there is an emergency situation.  The notice requirement is one day.  Here is the law:

"The tenant may not unreasonably withhold consent for the landlord, or his agents and employees, to enter into the dwelling unit in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations or improvements; supply necessary or agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagee, tenants, workmen or contractors."

Can the landlord refuse renewal?  Yes, but not in any way that may be seen as discriminatory against you.  I would suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption