Can a juvenile consent to a search of the family home when parents aren’t present?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a juvenile consent to a search of the family home when parents aren’t present?

Is this issue addressed in statutory or case law? Please cite.

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The majority of jurisdictions conclude that a minor has sufficient joint control in their parents' house to consent to a search under the following standard:

1.  Did the minor live in the home or share the premises with the absent parent?

2.  Did the minor have the right of access to the premises searched and the right to invite others to the premises?

3.  Did the totality of the circumstances indicate that the police were reasonable in their determination that the minor had sufficient control over the premises? 

4.  Did the facts attendant to the encounter -- including the minor's age, maturity, and intelligence -- indicate that the minor could exercise sufficient discretion to freely, knowingly, and voluntarily consent to the search and not merely acquiesce to a request of a police officer?

Failure to satisfy all four prongs of this test will preclude a finding that the minor gave valid third-party consent.

Based on my brief search, I did not located specific Colorado statutory or case law.  You may want to consult with an attorney for a more definitive answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption