Can a jjudgement creditortake and sell off our vehicles to satisfy the judgement?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a jjudgement creditortake and sell off our vehicles to satisfy the judgement?

A judgement was placed against us. We have not paid it. It is over $8000. We only own our vehicles free and clear. We are owner financing our mobile home until 11/18.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, yes.  A Judgement creditor has many avenues to collect a debt.  This includes garnishment of wages and attaching assets.  Generally when they have a judgement to collect they can go to a Marshall or some other official designated in your area to help with the collection.  That official will seize the vehicles and sell them at auction to collect the judgement.  It may be a good idea for you to go and see a debt counselor or an attorney as soon as you can regarding this matter and before they seize your vehicles.  Either making a deal to repay the money or possibly filing for bankruptcy to discharge the debt.  Let someone help you with options.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption