Canyou be terminatedfor a violation of policy if a supervisor gave their authority for you to do it?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canyou be terminatedfor a violation of policy if a supervisor gave their authority for you to do it?

Basically I was fired for using my discount on a purchase and using a debit card with a different name. However, in order to ring any associate purchase, you must have a manager’s key. My store manager used her key to approve the transaction a month and a half later, I got fired for that transaction. Can I go after the company for lost wages?

Asked on August 18, 2011 Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Believe it or not, you can be fired for this. In an "at will" employment relationship, an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of the workplace. The fact of the matter is that an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. While seemingly unfair, it's the law. So unless your discharge violates an employment contract, union agreement, or company policy, it was legal. Also, no actionable form of discrimination must have played a role in your termination; that would be illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption