Can a job fine me 100.00 for calling in if I have no time available?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a job fine me 100.00 for calling in if I have no time available?

The company I work for is revising the policies and looking to change the policy concerning time off. They are concerning fining the employees if they miss days if they have no days available to use vacation/sick timeis this legal?

Asked on February 12, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal if they announce the policy in advance, before it is implemented: if they do, then if you keep working there with knowledge of the policy, you will be considered to have consented or agreed to it and so it may be enforced against you.
Remember: except when you have an use PTO or if you qualify for FMLA and use it for a condition or absence it covers, there is no right to miss days from work, even if you are sick. Your employer may discipline, penalize, or even terminate you for missing work without using PTO.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption