Can a creditorl report my account to collections after 5.5 years without sending a single bill?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a creditorl report my account to collections after 5.5 years without sending a single bill?

After being turned down for a credit card because of a past due medical bill, I looked at my credit report to find a hospital bill from 5.5 years ago. Apparently there was a portion not paid by my auto insurance. I was a student at the time and had no medical insurance with auto insurance under my parent’s policy. I contacted the hospital to see why I owed money since I did not know I did and never received a bill. They said they tried billing to my home address which they gave was my parent’s. My parents or I have never received a bill. Then 2 months later hospital sent account to collections. Do I pay it? SOL?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A creditor can report a delinquent account to collections that is more than five years old even though you were never sent a bill for the alleged money owed.

From a practical point of view, if no lawsuit was ever filed with respect to the bill that is over five years old, the time to file suit is most likely barred by the applicable statute of limitations.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer law to assist in getting the negative comments on your credit report about this old bill removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption