Can a high school teacher negatively impede a student’s paid job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a high school teacher negatively impede a student’s paid job?

A friend of mine is a high schooler who writes both for our high school newspaper and is paid to write for a local high school sports program. He recently wrote a critical piece for the school paper about an incident involving our high school football coach. In response, the coach isn’t going to allow my friend to attend or cover any more of our high school’s football games. Since this negatively affects his ability to work and be paid, is this allowed?

Asked on September 30, 2016 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It's allowed as long as the school and district administration support him: a school can decide whether its students can attend school sporting events, so the school an exclude him from the games--and, of course, a school can determine what a school newspaper may write about.
Your friend's best bet is to get his and ideally other parents to support him, then go the principal first, then, if necessary the superintendent and/or the board of education, to overrule the coach.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption