Can a high interest loan company come to your house and harass you about a payment?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a high interest loan company come to your house and harass you about a payment?

It is only 2 weeks past due.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends what is meant by "harassment." Can they threaten you? Stay in or on your property without you permission? Make constant or continuing attempts to reach you, such as would constitute harassment or stalking? Block you from leaving your house? Etc.

No--they can't do anything which would itself be illegal. But can a representative drop by your home in person and ask to discuss the situation? Yes--just as they may call you to discuss it.

There is no such thing as "only 2 weeks past due"--once you are past due, you are in default and violating the terms of the loan. They may begin the process of seeking to collect or enforce the debt. They could even sue you at this point, if they chose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption