Can a govenment subsidized apartment force me to sign an affidavit concerning my bank statments?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a govenment subsidized apartment force me to sign an affidavit concerning my bank statments?

I withdrew a large amount of money to pay bills 2 months prior to seeking an apartment. I applied at an apartment and the leasing agent requested 6 months of bank statements. Seven months later the leasing agent informs me that the apartments are government subsidized and I am required to explain via affidavit how I obtained the monies listed on my bank statements and the current location of this money. Is this a legal request considering I pay full rent with no discounts?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are not receiving any government subsidy for the amount of rent that you are presently paying for your rented unit, I see no reason why you should be required to submit documentation to your leasing agent regarding how you obtained the monies listed in the bank statements that your provided.

The only exception would be if your written lease that you signed with your landlord required such in that the written agreement typically controls the obligations you owe the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If you do not want to provide the requested information to your leasing agent, you need to ask him or her the reasons and basis for the request and a written explanation so you can make your final decision.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption