Can a friend or family memeber request a bond reduction?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a friend or family memeber request a bond reduction?

My fiance has been arrested and has had his first court hearing/ arraignment. The judge has already reduced his bail but not enough so that we are able to afford it. Is there any way that I may request a bond/ bail reduction on his behalf?

Asked on August 12, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot. "Fiance" is not a legally recognized relationship, to start with: a fiance never has standing, or legal right, to intervene in or interject herself in another's legal matter. Morever, assuming your fiance is a competent adult, no other person, other than his lawyer/attorney, can represent him in court, make legal requests on his behalf, file motions or legal papers for him, etc. If you hire a lawyer for him, the lawyer may be able to help you--though if the bail has already been reduced, it is not particularly likely that it will  be reduced yet again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption