Can a French citizen open and run a company in the U.S.?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a French citizen open and run a company in the U.S.?

I am a French citizen and I would like to open and run a company in the US. What type of visa would I need? And what documents would I need to provide? Bear in mind I will not be investing my own funds, the money will come from my investor. On the other hand I will own about 70% of the company.

Asked on November 30, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can still open the company in the US.  Depending on what your role in the company would be and how many other people would be working in the company, it may be possible to get you a H-1B visa provided it goes through the H-1B lottery in April and no other changes are made to the program with the new administration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption