Can a former owner evict current tenants in Ga?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a former owner evict current tenants in Ga?

I have a periodic tenancy agreement to live at my address. A random woman continues to come to my home saying she Quitclaimed the home to my landowner but he is not paying his mortgage bill. This female placed an eviction notice on my door giving me 15 days to vacate. In Ga, is this legal for her to do?

Asked on March 20, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If she is not the current owner, she has no legal authority over the property (with one exception; see below) and no right to evict current tenants. Except as below, her power over the property ended when she transferred ownership (e.g. quitclaimed).
IF she is acting as the representative, manager, etc. for the current owner, then she can take action, but is doing so in his name and for him: that is, she has no authority on her own, but can be given authority by the current owner to act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption