Can a former employer register me for a pre-paid debit card after being told no?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a former employer register me for a pre-paid debit card after being told no?

I had direct deposit on file from day 1, on my last day the manager asked if I wanted my final pay on a pre-paid debit card, so it would be paid to me faster, or if I wanted it to remain direct deposit and have to wait until the next regular payday to receive my final check. I told the manager that I did not want an the card and that direct deposit will be fine. A few weeks after I had stopped working there, I received a card in the mail with a post it note from the former manager saying to call them if I had questions. Obviously upset with this individual for going against my expressed wishes, I did not contact them. I have not activated the card.

Asked on July 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They should not have done this, but there is nothing you can do about this: even when someone acts improperly or wriongfully, you can only take legal action for actual losses or harm you suffered--that is, there is only compensation for a physical or financial loss, not merely for your wishes being disregarded. If you received all the money you should, you suffered no actual harm; hence there is nothing to take legal action about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption