Can a former employer refuse to complete student forms requesting information to be used for life experience credits at the university?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a former employer refuse to complete student forms requesting information to be used for life experience credits at the university?

I am currently in school working to finish my degree. The university allows students to submit requests for life experience credit as it applies to work experience in the field. My former employer has refused to complete forms citing the reason that I no longer work for that company.
The university clearly states that any experience obtained within the previous five years is acceptable.
Do I have any recourse?

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the employer had signed any agreement (e.g. as part of, say, some internship program from your school in which it was participating) in which they agreed to complete these forms, then they are obligated to do so--you could sue them, if necessary, to force them to do so. But in the absence of a written agreement to complete these forms, it is purely voluntary on their part whether to do this or not; they would have no legal obligation, other than through a contract or agreement, to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption