Can a former employer get your address out of your file and then send people to your house to talk to you about non-work related issues?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a former employer get your address out of your file and then send people to your house to talk to you about non-work related issues?

My wife quit a job after 3 days because the people were hard to work with and the

environment was just to sterile for her outgoing nature. Her former job offered her a

raise to resume her employment with them and she accepted the offer. On Labor Day while we were outside cooking with family 2 missionaries walked up the ranch driveway about 100 yards, so I had to secure our 2 dogs and they told us the woman training her at the 3 day job sent them.

Asked on September 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is information, like relating to disabilities or workplace accommodations, or bank account or social security numbers, which is considered confidential and which your employer (or former employer) may not share with anyone. Your address is not one of them however, since your address is public information. This was unprofessional and inappropriate, but not illegal in terms of information sharing.
If your wife was still working there, because it was missionaries directed to your home, this would likely consitute illegal workplace religious-based harassment. But since she had already stopped working there, she would have no employment discrimination complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption