Can a family doctor go in to a medical record to delete, alter or cover up his original diagnosis at any time?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a family doctor go in to a medical record to delete, alter or cover up his original diagnosis at any time?

I recently had a MRI done and have a copy myself from the recent ER visit when i could not feel my legs, upon my review I am very close to being paraplegic from his Negligence Misdiagnosis altered reports from him and his technician. Recently my primary dr had harassed, intimidated and had childishness behavior toads me for my condition physician to avoid treating me or assisting me in anyway for a solution. I had to change facility’s and providers to move forward. I don’t see how a dr can not see a serious injury or technician when it is right in front of them? I am devastated.

Asked on March 14, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No doctor can alter medical records to cover up anything.  It sounds as if there is malpractice afoot and that you need to speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  It is very good that you have copies of records and reports.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption