Can a employment agreement be changed by the employer just because they want to?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a employment agreement be changed by the employer just because they want to?

I am a at will employee with a corporation; I work in thesame state. However, I live in in another state. I have a written agreement with this company that provides me with reimbursement for staying at a hotel during the week; it has no expiration date. Now, the company wants to change this agreement and stop paying for this. Do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An employment agreement is like any other contract: it may not be changed unilaterally by one party without the consent or agreement of the other, except to the extent that the agreement itself gives the one party the right to change it.

However, you write that you are an at-will employee; that significantly degrades the utility of your agreement, since the employer could fire you if you are not willing to accept a change in the terms. After all, an at-will employee may be terminated at any time, for any reason (including, for example, that they feel you are too expensive if they have to pay for your hotel). So while technically they cannot the agreement without your consent, they may terminate you if you won't consent, which unfortunately renders the agreement rather moot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption