Can an employer be sued for hostile work environment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer be sued for hostile work environment?

I worked for this restaurant for the last 3 months and it was a horrible environment. I left there many times in tears, over the cook they have employed there. He would tell at me, refuse to give me food needed for a customer, making my tips cut in half. If he was mad at me he would make me wait longer for my customers food. The owners pulled me aside one day after an incident, and told me they had to suspend him 2 times because of his anger issues. And they told me to suck it up. Now I’m without a job because it was affecting my mental stability.

Asked on February 6, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A hostile work enviormment has to do with an employee receiving unfair treatment due to their race, religion, gender, age (over 40), nationality or disability. Since this does not appear to be the case in your situation, you have no rights here. While you faced a most unprofessional work situation, it did not rise to the level of an actionable legal claim unless it violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption