Can a doctor report to an employer with an accusation ofan injured employee being drugseeking?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a doctor report to an employer with an accusation ofan injured employee being drugseeking?

My husband was in a car accident while working. His employer sent him to be checked out by their doctor and he was diagnosed with several severe injuries and was treated with pain medication and physical therapy. He is still suffering with pain and asked his doctor for a refill on pain medication and the doctor was very rude and told him that he wasn’t in pain and making it up. He filed a complaint with the urgent care company on the doctor’s unprofessional manner. Today the doctor called his HR and told them he was “drug seeking”.

Asked on December 15, 2010 under Malpractice Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The way that you have phrased the question here it certainly seems that the doctor is being retaliatory and calling your husband's work.  Now you may want to go beyond the complaint to the urgent care company and speak with someone else on the matter.  Perhaps the state licensing bureau and file a formal complant against the doctor for the unfounded accusations made.  If your husband was found to have a valid injury and was given medication by a licensed physician for these injuries his regular doctor should have spoken with the other physician and examined him and generally investigated the case.  He needs to be reprimanded formally so that he does not do it again. It was very unprofessional behaviour. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption