Can a divorce case be reopened if it has been filed as “inactive status as the parties have decided to reconcile”?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a divorce case be reopened if it has been filed as “inactive status as the parties have decided to reconcile”?

Do I need to re-file?

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Check your state law. The case will be placed on inactive status, meaning it is on hold and nothing is going on. Usually after some period the case will be closed. If the case is not closed yet, you can reopen it without paying the filing fees again. Otherwise, you have to refile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption