Can a detective demand you speak with them concerning a criminal act?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a detective demand you speak with them concerning a criminal act?

Asked on October 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whatever you do, if you're a target of an investigation, do not speak with the police without having an attorney present to represent you. Legally, you are under no obligation to speak with the police regarding a criminal act. You could unknowingly say something that would incriminate yourself (or possibly even someone else) regarding the crime. Additionally, they may well try and intimdate you. The fact of the matter is that even if the police come to your home to question you, you are not obligated to answer any of their questions. 

Remember, questioning you without legal counsel is to their benefit. Until you have an attorney, steer clear of the authorities. At this point you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption