Can a default judgement and wage garnishment be stopped after it has been confirmed?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a default judgement and wage garnishment be stopped after it has been confirmed?

My wife received default judgement and now a wage garnishment notice. This is for a debt that is over 6 years old. Isn’t there a statute of limitations? She is considering bankruptcy but I am currently under a Chapter 13 which I had before we married. Can she still file?

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

the judgment would be discharged in a bK.  .  the statute of limitations would not matter .if it is a judgement it is good for 20 years.  yes she can file  without you.  call me at 317-685-2426 to discuss  .  eric redman

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption