Can a debt collector legally come into my home to collect items from someone who doesn’t live there anymore?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a debt collector legally come into my home to collect items from someone who doesn’t live there anymore?

My son (25) was living at my house. I had him legally evicted through the courts. If a company wins a judgment against him with the right to legally collect an item he defaulted on do I have to let them in my house (when they show up with the police for an official collections with paper)? He has been legally evicted from my house for over 6 months now and this is not his legal residence. But he did leave things behind. I don’t know which of those he owes on. But I don’t want people coming into my house to even search for items. I know people may come to collect because I still get his mail.

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless the order issued by the court for a turn over of your son's personal property with respect to a judgment against him specifically states that you are required to let the judgment creditor and sheriff onto your property to retrieve such items, you are not obligated to allow any such entrance.

Usually there would be a third party turn over writ with respect to the judgment against your son served upon you to turn over items. From what you have written, I doubt that this will happen since he no longer lives with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption