Can a cop ticket me without catching me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a cop ticket me without catching me?

I was driving about 65 in a 55 mph zone, and a cop pulled a u-turn behind me. I was able to make it home and into my garage even though his lights were on. I have a very long driveway that is private property, is it possible to receive a citation for evading him? I do not believe he got my plates there was a large distance between us.

Asked on February 17, 2017 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can absolutely be ticketed without being caught--there is no legal requirement that you be caught in order to receive *any* kind of ticket, summons, etc. (Think about it: otherwise, if the rule was that you could only be ticketed if caught, the law would be encouraging people to drive excessively fast and recklessly when pursued by the police, in order to get away and avoid a ticket.) If he had enough information to identify you, he can ticket you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption