can a company that your employer uses to get your pay check leagally withhold your pay check

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a company that your employer uses to get your pay check leagally withhold your pay check

The company that my employers uses to pay us withheld my pay check .because they don’t want to verify my informantion through my employer the froze my atm card without notice. they say that they sent me a letter ten days ago which i haven’t recieved

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practicein this area of the law.  Most states have statutes that require employers to pay wages to their employees no later than 2 weeks after the last paycheck.  If the employer fails to pay the wages, they can be liable up to 3 times the amount of the paycheck and you can get reimbursed for your legal fees if you hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit.  I suggest you write an email or letter to your employer asking when you can expect to get paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption