Can a company not pay you your vacation if you give a 2 week notice?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company not pay you your vacation if you give a 2 week notice?

Even if you put your vacation request in before your 2 weeks notice.

Asked on November 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you do not have an employment contract guarantying you your vacation (or vacation pay on leaving employment) or specifying a notice period, your employer can do this. That's because without a contract, you are an employee at will; an employee at will may be terminated at any time, including after notice was put in; and the law does not require companies to pay out vacation unless the company has voluntarily adopted a policy of paying out vacation on separation of employment. Therefore, they can terminate you before  you get your vacation, and would not have to pay you for it unless that has been their voluntarily adopted policy.

Any employer I've worked for or with would do this--in the future, do not provide notice unless your ready to fired on the spot, which means do not do it while vacation is pending.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption