Can a company enforce a non-compete if I do not have a signed copy from them?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company enforce a non-compete if I do not have a signed copy from them?

I signed a non-compete as a independent contractor, however I never received a signed copy from the company. Is that a valid contract and can that be legally enforced? We are no longer engaged in business and I never received any compensation from said company.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The noncompetitive agreement is valid and enforceable since you signed it.  The fact that you didn't receive a copy does not alter this.

The fact that you are no longer transacting business with that company does not affect the validity of the noncompetitive agreement because the purpose of it is not to compete with the company.  Also, the fact that you haven't received compensation does not invalidate the noncompetitive agreement.  You can challenge the agreement in court if you think it is overbroad.  A court may restrict and limit the effect of a noncompetitive agreement's duration, scope or geographical proximity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption