Can a company after you make a deposit and we receve an invoice, with a balance due, then ask for more money?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company after you make a deposit and we receve an invoice, with a balance due, then ask for more money?

I have been staying at an RV park in Palm Springs for a month or so for several years each winter. We requested our dates for next winter before leaving last winter and they were aproved. As always we recieved an email requesting a deposit of $400 which we payed and recieved an invoice 2 months ago showing a balance of $575. We just got an email that there has been a rate increase and now our balance is $830. Can they do that?

Asked on August 1, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you had an actual written contract locking in or guarantying your rate, then they can't increase that rate while the contract is in force (i.e. they can only increase when it expires). Without such a contract guarantying the rate for some set period of time, they can increase the rate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption