What income is subjectto garnishment?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What income is subjectto garnishment?

A collection agency, that has a judgment, has sent me letter stating that they are going to potentially seize my bank account. In this letter, they also include a partial list of monies that may be “exempt”. The 3 types of income that I receive are listed in this letter. They are unemployment insurance, workers’ compensation, and child support. Can they seize these types of income? They do have a judgement dated 9/5/06. In NY.

Asked on March 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, they can not technically seize the money received from these sources.  However, they can and do garnish bank accounts and then it is up to you to do what ever it takes to make sure that if the income in this account ids from one of these sources, that you file the appropriate documentation to have the account and the funds listed as exempt.  You should speak with your bank and see what they need.  You should go to your local court and see what paperwork they have to give you to file an exemption.  And maybe you should consider trying to negotiate a settlement with the creditor so that you can get this money off your back.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption