Can a collection agency charge me a fee every time they garnishh my paycheck?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a collection agency charge me a fee every time they garnishh my paycheck?

They are adding a fee of $50 a check; $100 monthly extra. I owed around $1300 and still owe over $900. I have been garnished for almost $600.

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not the third party collection company that is garnishing your wages can charge you a fee every time your wages are garnished depends upon what the judgment states, what the fee is for (possibly levy fee of the sheriff) or if the fee is some allowable cost under any agreement that you may have had with the judgment creditor.

From what you have written, the fees being assessed may be for the levy each time your pay check is garnished for the sheriff. If so, that would be an allowable cost per state code. I suggest that you contact the collection company and ask what the extra fees are for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption