Can a client cancel a non-refundable payment plan before the service is completed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a client cancel a non-refundable payment plan before the service is completed?

I am a branding coach and I help entrepreneurs create their brands and grow
their social media accounts. I have a client who signed up for my services on
a non-refundable payment plan.

I have virtual meetings with my clients twice per week for one hour. This
particular client never makes it to our meetings and rarely reaches out to me
for help despite my multiple emails to contact her to provide my help. She is
now stating that she is unhappy with my services and wants to cancel.

Before my clients begin a payment plan, they check a box acknowledging
that the service is non-refundable. If she cancels her card, is there a way to
still get able to charge her?

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) No, if they sign a contract specifically stating that the fee is nonrefundable, they cannot cancel and avoid paying: they are contractually locked in. Only if the other party (the service provider; you) either committed fraud (lied about they could or would do) or breach the contract (fail to honor their obligations) would the customer be entitled to terminate it and get money back.
2) Given that they are legally/contractually obligated to pay, if they try to get their credit card company to stop payments, you can dispute it and they should reinstate. If payments are fully cut off, such as by canceling the card, you could sue her for the money (e.g. in small claims court).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption