can a civic club begin to collest dues

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a civic club begin to collest dues

I have lived in spring branch estates II for 35 yrs and now they want to start a collection of dues! No swiming pool, tennins courts or maintaince has ever been added!! Is this legal THANKS don

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It depends.  Is this a homeowners' type association or something of a private residential setting? Is it a civic club that is non profit or for profit? In other words, in what corporate/tax form is it?

It could be legal depending on the situation and what they are in relation to the residents therein.  So, to get an exact idea, try www.attorneypages.comand consult with a lawyer well versed in homeowners' association laws.   Check his or her record at the Texas State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption