Can a city raise property tax by 400%?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a city raise property tax by 400%?

Are city has proposed a 400% increase on property tax. The city residents are wanting to know if they

can legally do this without a vote from the residents. They have no budget and can’t explain what they have spent money on or why the proposed tax increase is needed.

Asked on November 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they legally may: there is no right to a public referendum on tax increases. Rather, residents get their input via their elected city councilmen (whatever they are called in your city: e.g. "councilmen," "freeholders,"etc.), who make this decision for them, the same way that Congress will decide on any changes to the tax code without the American people affected by it having any right to a referendum. Your represenatives vote and decide for you; if you don't like what they propose or do, the public can vote them out of office next election.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption